Retail Investment Review & Outlook 2022
The Retail Investment Review & Outlook report is the real estate industry’s must-have resource for smart decision-making, with analysis of the 2021 retail sector and predictions for 2022.
Key report insights include:
- 2021 was a record year for retail investment in Australia with over AUD 13.4 billion of activity.
- The surge in activity was nearly three times higher than the AUD 4.7 billion recorded in 2020 and more than 50% above the previous record high of AUD 8.8 billion in 2017.
- Pricing for convenience retail and large format retail tightened significantly so investors have moved into larger assets, with appetite broadening not just by sub-sector but by risk profile as well.
- After increasing in 2020, vacancy rates were stable across all the sub-sectors in 2021 with the exception of the CBD which continued to rise.
- We expect the recovery profile for CBD retail to be protracted, with a mix of cyclical and structural drivers.
Download a copy of our Retail Investment Review & Outlook 2022 Australia & New Zealand report to find out more.
We’re working with a broader cross section of investors than in previous years, ranging from core funds, listed groups to private investors for an even more diverse range of asset types. The legacy of ownership consolidation in retail is being unwound with new players executing different strategies, a theme which is leading to elevated levels of transaction activity.